1.07.2009

Strawberry Shortcake



I am considering starting a new tradition with this blog. I have decided I will try to share a new recipe, every week with all of you, my blogging family. Whether it be a trusted and well-seasoned sampling from my cooking arsenal.. or something new that I would like to try-- I think it may be a good idea for several reasons. First, who of us cannot use new culinary inspiration from time to time? I know I can. Second, and most applicable to me, I believe it will keep me on task with this blog. I often feel the temptation to allow far too many days to occur between postings and perhaps this new aspect will keep me disciplined. (It's a worth a try!)

For Today: I would like to share a Strawberry Shortcake Recipe (Courtesy of Paula Deen and the Food Network.) With Valentine's Day just next month, this is an excellent alternative to the gooey, rich chocolatey desserts that so often reign around V-Day. Not that I'm down on Chocolate. No way. I love Chocolate. Chocolate is paramount and yummy. However, whenever you want a different romantic dessert-- try this. (Hint: I made this for Lance last Valentine's Day and since it was just the two of us, I made individual desserts in mini-trifle dishes. Either way, it's a crowd/ husband/ fiancee/ boyfriend/ family pleaser!!) Enclosed is a photo from when I first made it. Let me know if you like it!!!




STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/strawberry-shortcake-recipe/index.html


1 large angel food cake
For the custard:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

For the glaze:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin (recommended: Jell-O)
1 cup water
2 cups fresh strawberries, cut in 1/2 (if berries are extra large, they can be cut into quarters)
Whole fresh strawberries and mint leaves, for garnish


Slice cake, using a serrated knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers.
For the custard:
Mix together cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping in a bowl; set aside.
For the glaze:
In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin; add water. Cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Fold in strawberries.
For assembly:
Place 1 layer of cake in a large clear bowl. Top with a layer of glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard. Top cake with 3 whole fresh strawberries and fresh mint leaves.



Cindy's Notes: When making a regular size Shortcake as in this recipe, a trifle dish is an excellent tool to have as the angel food cake when sliced horizontally, fits perfectly! This is also a great idea for Parties and Showers! Let me know if you like it!!! (Oh, and good strawberries are a must! If you cannot get any good ones, wait until you can!)

3 comments:

a girl and her love said...

Didn't you make this for a shower we threw together? If so, I remember it being so delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Lindsey said...

aww THANK YOU! I cant wait to try it :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea to post a new recipe ~ especially from someone who is an excellent cook and tries so many new things! I am going to do this for Valentine's Day for sure!!! Thanks~